Friday 15 March 2019

Bangkok and The New Pig Year in Singapore

As soon as we confirmed our trip, she(my friend) told me that she got a strong feeling that everything would fall into right place and reminded me not to forget praying. When the trip was nearing, I was physically very weak but still my parents allowed me to travel knowing very well that I was to be in safe hands after all.
On my way to Bangkok 

So landing at the Suvarnabhumi International airport on 30th January 2019, I had made sure that I didn't had to queue up for my visa. Instead I directly headed to the immigration and then to the baggage belt where I was able to connect to the airport Wi-Fi. In few minutes I successfully met my friend who flew in from Singapore to not only fetch me but also to take me around Bangkok city.

View from the boat en route to Iconsiam
Wat Pho temple

For the next three days, we went to so many places around Bangkok and I was made to try a lot of new things especially the food. Among all, I had this long-standing wish to visit Wat Pho temple that houses the 3rd longest reclining Buddha. I thank my three beautiful companions. One more new (quite surprising as well for me) was to see people queueing up for food in the restaurants. It proved two things: the patience of the people for the food and the next was how delicious the foods were. I wonder when we would have such sights in Bhutan.

Immigration at Changi Airport 

We boarded our flight from Bangkok on the evening of 2nd February and landed Singapore exactly at midnight past ten minutes, 3rd February 2019. The queue at the immigration was insanely long and so it was 2 am when we reached her house and prepared to sleep.

The supertree grove lightshow

Singapore welcomed me with fireworks (for Chinese new year) at the Marina Bay Sands and the supertree grove light show at the Gardens by the Bay. Thank you Singapore!!

Yushang

There was what was called as Yushang. All the family members gathered and had it before the new year. Each ingredient in the Yushang has its own meaning, especially meant to bring happiness and prosperity for the coming year. After all the ingredients were mixed in, it was tossed seven times high in the air before having it. Thank you, you lovely people for letting me experience this!!

Steamboat

On the eve of the new year, I was treated with the steamboat and later had a lime bath to wash down all the negativities and purify ourselves for the coming year. It was a beautiful belief by the Chinese that on the eve of the new year, children remaining awake late night was directly proportional to the long lives of one's parents. We tried our best to stay as late as possible that night.

New year clicks!

On the morning of the new year, "Gong Xi Fa Cai" and "Xin nian Kuai le" meaning "wish you good wealth" and "Happy New Year" echoed wherever I went. I was given what was known as "Ang Bao" which was a red envelope with money inside. I was told that this was given by the married couples to the kids or unmarried ones. I am too old to be a kid but being unmarried made me eligible for the Ang Bao... Hehe.

Kwan Im temple 

For the second day of the new year, I joined her family to pray at the Kwan Im temple. This was the temple where my friend had prayed for me some 7-8 months ago. My gratitude was overwhelming for answering her prayers. A small part I can do is to pray for all sentient beings to be free from sufferings!!

Losar Tashi Delek 

Our new year celebration continued with us visiting the Bhutanese at Hougang. Our dinner consisted of some varieties of Bhutanese dishes along with the red rice. Wow... I was so grateful for being able to have it there at Singapore. I felt so much at home.


This new year (Losar) celebration has been one of the best in the recent years and I have to thank so many people for this. The lovely family of my dear friend, I can't thank you all enough for accepting me into the celebration. You all just made me feel I was a part of your family. What my eyes saw filled up my heart and believe me, my heart is full of love now. Thank you Sangay Lham and all other Bhutanese friends for the lovely night together. Lastly my dearest friend (Rima) who had to multi-task as my host, guide and photographer, you are an incredible friend I have. There are very less people who make such tremendous efforts for someone's happiness. You are one such person in my life. Thank you beyond words!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment